Procedures for Processing FacultyAcademic Titles
Full Academic Rank- Tenure/Tenure Track or Non-Tenure Track (Attachment A)
- Those members of the faculty who have agreed to abide by all rules and regulations of the University and whose time is available for the clinical, research, or instructional purposes in the University for the period of time designated as a regular work week are eligible for appointments to full academic rank. Faculty whose principal duties are involved with teaching and either clinical service, patient care, or research that is not sufficient to fulfill the requirements of the Tenure Track will be placed on the Non-Tenure Track. Such appointments are without tenure and do not constitute a probationary period for tenure.
- Faculty who qualify as indicated in the previous statement but who receive fifty percent (50%) or more of the total compensation of a full-time member of the faculty, aside from the faculty practice program, from sources other than the State appropriation to the University may be appointed at full academic rank coterminous with the availability and receipt of outside funding for the position. Coterminous appointments are without tenure and do not constitute a probationary period for tenure.
Tenure/Tenure Track and Non-Tenure Track Titles (Attachment B)
- Professor of (Department)
- Associate Professor of (Department)
- Assistant Professor of (Department)
- Instructor of (Department)
Modified (Qualified) Academic Rank (Attachment A)
- Those members of the faculty whose professional services occupy a period of time less than that designated as a regular work week and/or whose professional services are only partially conducted in facilities of the University or its affiliates are eligible for appointment to modified (qualified) academic rank. Faculty participating primarily in programs involving patient care shall be designated with the modifier, Clinical. Faculty who participate primarily in research and teaching shall be designated with the modifier, Adjunct. Faculty whose service is for a limited time may be appointed with the modifier, Visiting. Faculty whose service is discontinuous or intermittent may be appointed as Lecturers.
- Only under unusual circumstances will faculty who participate full-time in teaching programs, clinical activities, research programs, or service activities be appointed to modified (qualified) academic rank.
Clinical Titles (Attachment B)
- Clinical Professor of (Department)
- Clinical Associate Professor of (Department)
- Clinical Assistant Professor of (Department)
- Clinical Instructor of (Department)
Research and Teaching Titles (Attachment B)
- Adjunct Professor of (Department)
- Adjunct Associate Professor of (Department)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of (Department)
- Adjunct Instructor of (Department)
Visiting and Other Titles
- Visiting Professor of (Department)
- Visiting Associate Professor of (Department)
- Visiting Assistant Professor of (Department)
This title is reserved for those part-time individuals who make contributions to the school, but whose contributions are limited to didactic presentations.
- Associate: This title is reserved for those individuals who have not yet completed their post-doctoral academic training, but do make contributions to departmental or school teaching or research programs.
- Special Status
- Emeritus Faculty: (Attachment C) Members of the faculty who, by virtue of retirement, have been relieved of teaching and administrative responsibilities. Election to Emeritus status shall be by the Board of Trustees on recommendation of the President, the school, Dean and faculty.
- Distinguished Professor: (Attachment D) Faculty members of surpassing academic achievement. These may include outstanding and continued research and scholarly work, excellence in teaching, and major contributions in diverse areas such as administration, curriculum, program development, and faculty enrichment.