How to Make a Referral


To consult with the Student Assistance Facilitator (SAF), you can be the student him/herself (self referral), friend, colleague, family member, faculty member, school administrator, or health professional.

You should provide specific concerns regarding behavior of the student. These may include any of the following:

  1. Unusual or inappropriate behavior
  2. Withdrawal from or disinterest in friends and activities
  3. Frequent or unexplained absences or tardiness
  4. Depressed mood
  5. Frequent or unexplained illnesses or accidents
  6. Significant inability to handle routine challenges
  7. Unusual weight gain or loss
  8. Use of drugs or alcohol

Confidentiality may not be maintained in certain situations, e.g., situations involving threat-to-life or child abuse.

What Happens after a Referral is Made:

If the SAF receives a report of impairment in a referred student, the SAF will meet privately with the referred student to present their concerns.

The SAF has a basic interest to assure that students get appropriate help. The SAF has the option of referring a student who refuses help or fails to comply with treatment to the Dean of Student Affairs. In cases involving health and safety, e.g., potential suicide or child abuse cases, the SAF may take immediate action to prevent harm to students or others.

© 2016